Tuesday, July 31, 2007

A little redecorating project

Just some thoughts on what I am going to do in the living room and dining room. Decisions, decisions.


The wallpaper is almost all gone. The only part that's left is behind the piano that I can't budge. The next big decision is colors. I need to pick a wall color and also a trim color. The dining room has a chair rail that was wall papered above and painted below.





So I am thinking 3 colors. I want to have the same color in the living room and the top wall in the dining room. Then a trim color and another for below the chair rail which I think will also be for the built in cabinets as well.

Right now the floor has a rose/mauve colored wall to wall carpet. This carpet is an animal hair magnet. It will be ripped out for hardwood that is already underneath. The floor has sort of a golden color to it, though I suppose we could have it stained any color. I am thinking we may need to have it professionally refinished, Though I am kind of hoping that just a good washing might be ok.
The other consideration is the couch and chair. They are slipcovered with a flowered fabric that I has some taupe, rose and green colors on an off white background. I washed them, even though it said not to and the chair cover close in the back. Not a problem if its up against a wall. I want to paint sort of a blue green color(think Martha Stewart) but it would not match this furniture. I really like the look of brown and blue. I'm thinking of getting rid of the chair because it is way too big for the space. Lots of decisions...all involving money that I don't have. I do have a Morris Chair that belonged to my grandmother and is at my dad's house. It would need to have new cushions made for it but I would like to add it to this space. I also want to include one of Bill's dad's paintings that is a sunset on the water.
It is my favorite of all of his paintings! In this picture you can see it does have some blue green in it. So that might work.
This is a real project. What a mess!

2 comments:

Tammy said...

That painting is a perfect starting point for choosing paint colors.
Can you replace the furniture slipcovers with something neutral?
Keep us updated on your progress. :o)

Anonymous said...

I think the painting is great, and it makes a good color scheme on it's own. I'm with Tammy on this one, I think slipcovers are in order for the furniture.