Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Flower explosion!







July has brought an explosion of color to my garden and I have taken some pictures to keep track.
The lilies started blooming around June30, just before we left for Cape Cod and they were really going when we got back on July 6. I can't believe its already July 18!!



I don't know what this is. It just showed up in the garden
with this big, pretty, bluish flower. Maybe a stray morning glory?

The Asiatic lilies have many more blooms than they did last year. It's really hard to get all of them onto one page like this because they are all over the yard. The daylilies are a surprise every day.
Last year I divided alot of them and moved them around a bit. My goal is to extend the bloom throughout the summer.

The snapdragons have really taken off and I get a good sized bouquet every other day or so.

I love the way that butterfly posed for me. There was a black and blue one out there also but it disappeared after I got my camera. The bouquet at the top is what I look forward to all Winter.
The flower to the left that looks like a sunflower is from the new white coneflower plant I bought. I love how it looks. The purple coneflowers I have are prolific. In fact, they need to weeded out to keep them from taking over. I hope that the white and the yellow coneflowers I got this year will multiply as nicely. They are great additions to cut arrangements.

I also love the really dark red hollyhocks along the side of the house. I don't remember whether I planted those last year or if they reseeded. I bought a few 99 cent pink hollyhocks this year so I will be able to tell next year if the black ones come back next year.

Yesterday I went through and pulled out all of the blackeyed Susans that were growing in places where I didn't want them and moved them back along the woods(there are no pictures of this). Also, I am planning to put in an asparagus patch. I bought two plants but I really need about half a dozen more. Bill is already mourning the loss of more grass.












1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Peg, I think your mystery plant is an Angel's Trumpet, also known as datura. Google it and let me know if you agree.