Tuesday, August 28, 2007

The garden is starting to look a little messy

This is the time of year when I start to lose interest in weeding. Its actually been that way for quite a while this summer and there are lots of weeds. But I do have really nice flowers too.
The tall phlox are in bloom now. I have 5 or 6 different varieties and they look nice all together in a vase. They aren't the best cut flower. They smell nice but after a day or so they get very messy and drop petals all over the place. I passed one on my walk this morning that had a very light pink flower and light green variegated leaves. Maybe I'll see if I can find one at a perennial sale.

This picture was taken when everything still looked pretty good.
The black-eyed susans really add alot of color and they are still going strong. But the purple coneflowers are looking a little old these days. I don't like to dead head them because the birds like the cone part. This picture does not show the height of the dahlias which are now between 4 and 6 feet high. These red ones are
returning from last year. They are about 8 inches across, huge impressive flowers! Love these.

This two toned pink flower is new this year. The new dahlias I bought this year have taken a long time to bloom and have not had the same flower production as the ones from last year. Also, last year I had an all pink one that I have not seen yet this year.

In this arrangement you can see some other dahlias. The one on the far right has cream petals that are edged in maroon with a yellow center. This plant produces TONS of flowers and it did last year too. The red flower at the bottom left is a dahlia that is smaller and brighter than the big ones. There are some zinnias there. The ones I bought this year were from Stillmans(just so I remember) and they are big and bright. That yellow sunflower is one of a few that actually came up from the many sunflower seeds I planted. These last pictures are asters. They are small, about 2 inches in diameter but they come in different colors and will bloom right until the frost. I have just been cutting them and putting them together in little vases on the window sill.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are a braver gardener than I ever was! Even when I had a large garden full of flowers, I rarely cut them to put into vases in the house. I just couldn't bear to remove them from the garden! Your flowers are gorgeous Peg!

Tracy said...

Beautiful flowers, Peg!